May 8, 2013

Coach.

 coach
noun
1. a person who trains an athlete or a team of athletes.

When I think of the one person outside my family who has had the greatest influence on my life, it is my coach. He is so much more than a coach to me; more than just a person who trains an athlete or a team of athletes. He is like my second father. He is the man that helped me tape my hand to a paddle after I smashed it in the car door before morning practice, he is the man who has told me through my breakups that I deserve better, he is the man who supported me even when I signed to an opposing school. He's the man who took me to my first championship meet and helped me get through my nerves before the 400 IM. He ordered my tech suits and would give me monthly talks about how I need to be on time to practice. He's the man who took my swimming goals personally and did everything in his power to help me accomplish them. He's the man who told my team before every meet: "Let us be good people, then we can be fast swimmers." He's the man who would get choked up after a hard set because he was proud of me. Dee is so much more than a swimming coach, he's an example to everyone around him. Each athlete he coaches feels his sincere love. He makes us want to be better people; then fast swimmers. 

After listening to my coach's advice when my set was finished today, I looked to Dee for approval and, as always, he was watching my set. I realized then how thankful I am to be able to swim with the most amazing coach. Someone who I completely trust and know wants what's best for me as an athlete and as a person. It's one thing to be a great coach, it's another thing to be a great coach who respects and loves his athletes.

Thank you for everything, coach.
I promise I'll make you proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment